Vicky Lord is the managing partner of our Shanghai office in the People’s Republic of China, heading our Litigation, Restructuring and Insolvency team. She frequently obtains significant wins for clients acting as a litigator in high-value, high-profile commercial offshore disputes with cross-border elements.
Vicky is an experienced advocate in multi-jurisdictional commercial matters in the BVI Commercial Court and Court of Appeal, ranging from insolvency and distressed hedge fund litigation to shareholder disputes. She has also appeared in the Privy Council in London and acts as advocate, supporting on-shore firms, in English language arbitrations in the People’s Republic of China. Vicky counts some of the world's best known financial institutions, blue-chip listed companies and ultra-high net worth individuals amongst her client base.
In addition to her company law and insolvency experience, Vicky has particular expertise in high value contentious trusts and probate litigation, where she has acted for trustees, beneficiaries and third parties across a range of complex disputes. She is also experienced in handling high-value fraud cases with considerable success.
Vicky is listed as a next generation lawyer for offshore in Legal 500, an asset recovery specialist and Thought Leader in Who's Who Legal and is a past winner of the Client Choice Award for offshore services. As a barrister, she is a member of the Chancery Bar Association. She is equally at home advising and presenting cases in Spanish and has a good level of Portuguese, French and Italian comprehension.
Vicky has played an instrumental role advising on a number of insolvency, enforcement and commercial litigation matters, including:
- Acting as lead partner in an ancillary BVI proceeding to a GBP750 million United Kingdom claim.
- Acting as lead partner for PwC, as joint provisional liquidators of Natural Dairy, a HK listed Cayman company in relation to a fraud dispute.
- Acting on behalf of creditors in relation to an application to wind up Wise Global Limited.
- Acting for a consortium of investors, including Deutsche Bank and ABN AMRO, on the USD1.45 billion Fairfield Sentry litigation stemming from the Madoff fraud and successfully resisting BVI claims.
- Successfully assisting Singaporean foreign representatives to obtain advance disclosure for a wide-ranging asset tracing in a fraud.
- Acting on successful enforcements in the BVI of numerous awards from various arbitral institutions.
- Advising a major Russian energy company with respect to the enforcement of an arbitral award.
- Acting as an expert witness in arbitration proceedings in relation to BVI law.
- Advising Trina Solar Limited in s.238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
- Advising JA Solar Holdings in s.238 dissenting shareholder proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
Vicky also has considerable experience advising on contentious trusts matters, including:
- Lead partner in a highly contentious trusts disclosure claims in BVI: Tchenguiz v Rawlinson & Hunter as Trustee of the Tchenguiz Family Trust & Anor.
- Acting as the sole advocate in a successful application for restoration of trust property for a Russian Oligarch.
- Acting for the wife and family with regard to a dispute concerning entitlement under a BVI Trust.
- Acting for a Cayman Trustee in various Beddoe applications.
- Successfully acting for a Latin American heiress in a contentious probate and trust claim.
Vicky has been recognised as a next generation BVI lawyer.Legal 500
Vicky is recognised as an expert in asset recovery.Who's Who Legal, 2018, 2019
Vicky is recognised as a GIR "thought leader".Who’s Who Legal, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Vocational Course)
- University College London (LLB)