James Eggleton is a Senior Associate in our Commercial Litigation and Insolvency team in the Cayman Islands.
He is an experienced practitioner specialising in complex financial services, funds, commercial and insolvency litigation. Recent and ongoing instructions include:
- Advising New York hedge funds and investors in distressed fund situations.
- Advising the successful largest investor in the Ardon Maroon Asia Eagle Feeder Fund, at both first instance and in the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal, in proceedings of wider importance to the investment funds industry concerning redemptions in master-feeder fund structures.
- Advising the Joint Official Liquidators of Vantage Drilling Company (in Official Liquidation) on an ongoing basis in relation to cross border issues arising on its liquidation.
- Advising the Joint Receivers of the Axiom Legal Financing master and feeder funds following their collapse amidst allegations of fraud and misconduct.
- Advising company-side in relation to highly contentious shareholder appraisal petitions to determine the “fair value” of dissenting shareholders’ shares under Section 238 of the Cayman Islands Companies Law (including In re Qunar Cayman Islands Ltd, In re Qihoo 360 Technology Ltd, and In re JA Solar Holdings Co Ltd)
Prior to relocating to the Cayman Islands, James worked in the financial markets disputes practice of Dentons’ London office, where he acted for financial institutions in relation to a variety of complex matters including derivatives mis-selling claims and claims concerning the alleged manipulation of the London Interbank Offered Rate.
James has also extensive in-house experience, having spent time on secondment with Deutsche Bank, RBS, Balfour Beatty and Barclays.
He frequently authors articles and contributes to the Offshore Litigation Blog. He is also a member of the Cayman Islands Recovery & Insolvency Specialists Association.