Ian Mann is our Asia managing partner and a member of our Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring Group in Hong Kong.
He is a leading litigator, senior tactician and thought leader. Clients benefit from Ian’s extensive insight and industry knowledge.
Ian specialises in restructuring, insolvency, shareholder disputes and contentious trusts. He is an experienced advocate and continues to appear in Court regularly. He has been involved in every major recent restructuring in the region involving offshore entities. Ian is also a specialist in cross-border and conflict of laws dilemmas.
He regularly appears on behalf of elite families and is usually retained on a long-term basis for strategic global offshore litigation advice.
Ian lectures often to judicial, professional and academic bodies and is regularly asked to provide expert opinion on offshore law to various Courts of Law.
He is the author of both of the leading offshore textbooks on British Virgin Islands Commercial Law and Bermuda Commercial Law and is a contributor to The Offshore Litigation Blog.
Ian is also a Fellow of INSOL International as well as a qualified Trusts and Estates Practitioner.
Ian's recent experience includes:
- Acting as BVI and Cayman counsel to HKSE-listed PRC property development firm Kaisa Group in a US$2.77 billion debt restructuring via a scheme of arrangement.
- Advising Titan Resources Management Limited on the successful approval of a BVI scheme of arrangement for which Harneys won the Asia Transformation and Turnaround Association (ATTA) Legal Services Award.
- Acting as BVI counsel ona majority high value shareholder ownership dispute in Ng Man-Sun v Peckson Limited, concerning the majority shareholder ownership of a casino and hotel in Macau. Harneys advised on an appeal to the Privy Council in London from the Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands) as to the beneficial ownership of shares in a BVI company.
- INSOL Technical Research Committee
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Unit
- International Insolvency Institute
- Harneys Listco Dispute Unit
Ian is consistently ranked as a Tier 1 lawyer in Asia where he is described as being a "very well known and well trusted" practitioner in the market. "He is a very active lawyer who quickly gets across the issues, facts and laws in a case."Chambers and Partners, 2019
Ian is ranked a "leading individual" and is noted as a “standout lawyer”.Legal 500, 2020
Ian is one of ten offshore lawyers recognised for client service in Asia.Asian Legal Business
Ian is recognised as a "name to know".Global Restructuring Review, 2019
Ian is recognised as a "Private Client Global Elite".Legal Week, 2019
Ian has been ranked as a restructuring and GIR "thought leader", he is also recognised as an expert in asset recovery, private client, and restructuring & insolvency.Who's Who Legal, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- New York (not practising)
- Inns of Court School of Law
- Churchill College University of Cambridge (LLM)
- University of Southampton (LLB)