With more than 10 years of expertise in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), Greg Boyd is a partner in our Transactional Group in the BVI. He regularly advises clients and their onshore advisers on BVI corporate and finance matters. He services a broad spectrum of clients that includes financial institutions (including DFIs), public and private businesses, private equity funds, family offices, high-net-worth individuals and start-ups. Greg is also a member of the firm’s FinTech Group.
Before moving to the BVI, Greg worked as a banking and finance lawyer with Baker & McKenzie in London. Today, he collaborates with global clients on cross-border corporate and finance transactions spanning seed and series capital raising rounds, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions (public and private), corporate reorganisations. IPOs and take privates. In addition to advising on market leading transactions, Greg enjoys working on projects that achieve impact investment and sustainability utilising the BVI Company and BVI Corporate law to maximise multinational investment attraction and reduced corporate risk. Over the years, Greg has advised many Multilateral Lending Agencies, Development Financial Institutions and Private Equity Firms on their emerging market and frontier market investments.
Greg’s recent representative transactions include advising:
- TSX-listed Company Aura Minerals Inc. on its merger acquisition of Rio Novo Gold Inc. Aura received the Canada mid-size M&A deal of the year award for this transaction at the 2018 Americas M&A Atlas Awards.
- Jiangsu Shagang in relation to the BVI aspects of its asset restructuring alongside lead Chinese counsel Jincheng Tongda & Neal (JT&N). This transaction won a Deal of the Year Award from the China Business Law Journal in Q1 2019.
- Kingo Energy on several capital raising rounds that enabled them to literally turn on the solar lights for many communities having no access to any kind of power grid. Kingo earned #2 spot on The World Economic Forum’s top 10 start up’s in Latin America.
- Hybrico on several capital raising rounds that enabled them to roll out blended solar projects and solutions to improve the uptime of mobile towers in low grid and no grid locations.
- DXC Technology Company (NYSE:DXC) on its proposed US$2 billion merger acquisition of Luxoft (NYSE:LXFT). This is set to be the largest ever (by value) takeover of a publicly listed BVI company.
- UTi Worldwide Inc. on its merger acquisition by DSV which completed in early in 2016, in one of the largest ever takeovers of a publicly listed BVI company and created the world’s fourth largest logistics company.
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation on the BVI aspects of the acquisition of Two Roads Hospitality.
- ACWA Power as to BVI law matters on the issuance of a US$814 million collateralised bond with a 22 year maturity by ACWA Management and Investments One Limited. This deal won PFI’s Bond Deal of the Year for the MENA region at the end of 2017.
Greg’s other notable BVI experience includes advising:
- IFC & CAF - Equity funding of Afrimax. The investment was at the time believed to be the largest ever placement for a greenfield network in Africa by IFC.
- IFC & CAF - Equity funding of Avantel. IFC's and CAF's equity investments was used to finance the development and expansion of Avantel S.A.S.’s 4G network in Colombia and was part of an equity capital raise by Avantel.
- IFC – Equity funding of Pacific Infrastructure. This deal was at the time IFC's largest equity investment into a new infrastructure project.
- MDM Engineering on its listing on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange.
- MDM Engineering on the merger acquisition of it by Foster Wheeler AG (Nasdaq:FWLT) and take private.
- Arcos Dorados on its US$1.2 billion listing on the NYSE (at the time one of the largest IPOs of a BVI Company).
- Kudelski SA on its merger takeover and take private of NASDAQ listed OpenTV Corp.
Greg is a "strong lawyer" who "gets the big work".Chambers and Partners, 2019
Greg is ranked as “highly regarded”.IFLR 1000, 2019
Greg is recommended in the British Virgin Islands Corporate and Commercial rankings.Legal 500, 2019
- South Africa
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa (LLB)