Ellie Crespi is a partner in our BVI office where she advises on British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands law. Her clients include leading onshore law firms, major international financial institutions and listed and private companies.
Prior to joining us in 2013, Ellie worked in the banking teams at Allen & Overy and at Cameron McKenna. She is now a member of our Finance & Corporate practices and the Asia Restructuring Unit. Ellie's current practice specialises in debt and equity financing. She also advises on financial and corporate restructurings and general corporate matters including special offshore products such as statutory mergers and continuations. Her expertise extends to both established and emerging markets.
Ellie's recent experience includes:
- Acting acted as Cayman Islands counsel for ENN Energy China Investment alongside Sullivan and Cromwell in relation to ENN's $652 million subscription for equity interest in Sinopec Marketing
- Advising China Development Bank, shareholder of Alibaba Group Holdings Limited, on the sale of its equity investment in the historic US$25 billion IPO of Alibaba
- Advising the finance parties and onshore counsel Allen & Overy Singapore on BVI law matters in relation to an acquisition finance facility in relation to the proposed take-private of Archipelago Resources plc, a publicly held company listed on AIM, by its majority shareholder, PT Rajawali Corporation
- Acting as BVI counsel to Greenland Global Investment Limited and its onshore counsel Davis Polk in connection with the establishment of its US$3 billion medium term note programme and the issuance of US$500m notes thereunder
- Advising the joint bookrunners and mandated lead arrangers Bank of China, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Credit Agricole, HSBC, ING, Mizuho, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, RBS, SMBC, UO and their Hong Kong counsel Linklaters in relation to British Virgin Islands matters in connection with a HK$10 billion loan facility for IFC Development Corporate Finance Limited
- Acting as British Virgin Islands counsel to Goldman Sachs and its English law counsel Slaughter & May in connection with the US$613,000,000 refinancing of three sets of notes secured against put options written by Danone SA over the shares of a Cyprus joint venture company
- Acting as BVI counsel to Camden Market Holdings Corp. and its English law advisors Fladgates LLP in relation to a GBP255million group refinancing provided by Nomura involving thirteen BVI group obligors and a connected solvent corporate restructuring introducing four new BVI group companies
- Advising UTi Worldwide on instruction from Cravath, Swaine & Moore, New York in respect of UTi’s issuance of preferred shares and convertible notes. Morgan Stanley and CitiGroup Global Markets, represented by David Polk & Wardwell, New York, provided financial advisory services to UTi in connection with the transactions
- Advising Citigroup and its English law counsel, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, on matters of British Virgin Islands law in respect of the restructuring of an equity financing transaction. Citi participated in the financing as CDS counterparty
Ellie is also a contributor to Bermuda Commercial Law.
Ellie is recognised as a “next generation partner” in the British Virgin Islands Banking, Finance and Capital Markets rankings.Legal 500, 2020
Ellie is ranked as "highly regarded".IFLR1000, 2020
- England and Wales (not practising)
- Hong Kong
- British Virgin Islands
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (LPC)
- London College of Law (GDL)
- University of Oxford (MA)