Marcia McFarlane is a member of our Litigation and Insolvency practice group in our BVI office. Her clients include insolvency practitioners, foreign office holders, international law firms and individuals.
Before joining us in 2009, Marcia held specialist pupillages in banking and finance, corporate law and investment funds and regulatory. She was seconded to the Cayman Islands for one year where she formed part of a nine-member legal team for a high profile two month trial before the Cayman Islands Grand Court. Marcia's practice includes liquidation and remuneration applications, mirror orders in BVI proceedings and enforcement applications for foreign judgments, which include arbitration awards. She also assists with shareholder disputes which seek unfair prejudice remedies or result in derivative claims.
Marcia holds an introductory certificate in international arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and is a trained mediator certified by the Judicial Education Institute of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court in collaboration with the University of the West Indies. Some of Marcia's notable cases include:
- BVIHCV 403/2008: Elena Rybolovleva v Dmitri Rybolovlev and others
- BVIHCV 76/2008: Sino Union (Caribbean) Holdings Ltd v Shangri-la International Development Holding and others
- BVIHC(COM) 398/2009: JSC BTA Bank v Reuel Limited, Mukhtar Ablyazov and others
- FSD 47/2009: Riad Tawfiq Al Sadik v Investcorp Bank BSC and others
- BVIHC(COM) 89/2011: Alhamrani v Alhamrani
- BVIHC(COM) 113/2013: Westburg Anstalt v Profitstar Anstalt