Jayson Wood is a partner in our Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring practice and is head of the Cayman Islands Restructuring department.
Jayson has over 25 years of experience in all aspects of corporate and insolvency litigation with particular expertise in cross-border debt restructurings of distressed companies. Prior to moving offshore in 2007, he was partner-in-charge of the dispute resolution team of Minter Ellison Lawyers (Gold Coast) in Australia.
Jayson is admitted to practise as an attorney in the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, and Bermuda. He has worked on many of the largest insolvent liquidations and restructurings of Cayman Islands and Bermuda incorporated entities (with a focus on U.S. and Asia based companies), and has appeared as lead Counsel in multiple reported decisions.
Some of his recent experience includes:
- Acting in many high profile debt restructurings including two “Deal of the Year” restructurings out of Hong Kong, the largest value debt restructuring of a Hong Kong listed offshore company, and numerous oil and gas restructurings out of the US.
- Acting for a creditor group owed in excess of $500 million in successfully opposing the winding up of a well-known real estate venture based in the PRC.
- Acting in a dispute involving fraud on a massive scale perpetrated against one of Russia’s largest investment funds where the fund stood to lose up to $330 million.
- Acting in a widely publicised shareholder dispute involving breach of contract and asset misappropriation of up to US$800 million.
Jayson is a regular contributor to a number of hedge fund and insolvency publications.
Jayson is “a careful and experienced lawyer who delivers advice that is of a very high standard and reflects his vast experience as an insolvency lawyer and litigator”. Jayson is"incredibly affable and produces really intellectual, high-quality, stimulating opinions”.Chambers & Partners
Jayson is recognised as a “Leading Individual” in the Bermuda Dispute Resolution rankings.Legal 500, 2019
Jayson is recognised as an expert in asset recovery and restructuring & insolvency.Who's Who Legal, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- University of Tasmania (LLB)